Behavior Consultation for Birds
We help birds who need help with:
Appointments with Dr. Valli
- How to Schedule a Consultation
- What to expect at the Consultation
- Preparing for the Consultation
- Consultation Fees
- Contact us to schedule an appointment. Dr. Valli sees appointments on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays at Synergy’s Behavior Center in NW Portland.
- We require a $100 reservation deposit to hold your appointment slot. This deposit will be applied to the total cost of the consult. Here is an online deposit payment link for your convenience. You may also call us to give us a credit card number over the phone. If you prefer to pay the deposit by check, please mail it. We will hold your appointment for up to 5 business days then open it up for scheduling again if your deposit is not received by that time.
- When you schedule you will be sent a link to our online Bird Behavior History Form. Please submit it no later than 72 hours prior to your consultation. The more detail you provide in the form, the more time we can spend devising and implementing your pet’s customized treatment plan.
- Cancellation policy: We understand that life happens, and things can change suddenly or unexpectedly, leaving you unable to attend your scheduled appointment. Please review our cancellation policy to determine what applies to different circumstances.
- Cancellation without rescheduling the appointment – deposit is not refunded
- Rescheduling the appointment at least 72 hours before a scheduled appointment time – the deposit can be applied to a rescheduled appointment one time. If the appointment is cancelled or rescheduled a second time, the deposit is not refunded
- Rescheduling or canceling an appointment within 72 hours of a scheduled appointment – the deposit is not refunded
During the consult, Dr. Valli will spend some time observing your bird’s behavior, and clarifying any questions she may have from the Behavior History Form that you filled out prior to the consult. During a house call, she will also look at your bird’s housing and surrounding environment, toys, food, and training ability if applicable. Following this, she will…
- Help you understand your bird’s behaviors,
- Discuss diagnosis and prognosis of the problem behaviors,
- Discuss treatment options with you,
- If appropriate, discuss and demonstrate the behavior modification techniques best suited to your bird and make it practical for you to follow-through with them. The techniques described will be progressive, compassionate and minimally invasive,
- Discuss follow-up recommendations based on you and your bird’s needs
After the consultation, Dr. Valli will send you a summary of the findings of the consultation, and send a copy to your primary veterinarian as well to keep them updated as part of your bird’s behavioral health team. Follow-up behavior modification sessions may be recommended to help facilitate treatment, and are available with one of our trainers. Dr. Valli also offers behavior modification sessions depending on the case. The initial consultation includes phone and e-mail contact with Dr. Valli up to your pet’s Progress Evaluation Recheck. Rechecks occur between 1-3 months after the initial assessment depending on behavioral conditions and treatment plan for your individual bird.After this, patients are seen every 3-6 months depending on the complexity of their cases.
- Your bird’s favorite treats or food
- A selection of your bird’s favorite toys
For a consultation at the Synergy Behavior Center, please:
- Bring your bird in a carrier or travel cage
- Bring your bird’s favorite toys and treats
|Behavioral Health Assessment (At Behavior Center)*||$225, up to 1-1.5 hours,|
|Behavior Progress Evaluation (For existing clients, at Behavior Center)*||$195, up to 1 hour|
* Includes up email and phone behavioral support until the time of your bird’s recommended Progress Evaluation. **Please contact us for our travel zone.