Behavior Consultation for Cats
We help cats who are suffering from:
Appointments with Dr. Valli
- How to Schedule a Consultation
- What to expect at the Consultation
- Preparing for the Consultation
- Consultation Fees
- Contact us to schedule an appointment. Dr. Valli sees appointments on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Evening appointments are available. House call appointments are recommended for cats living within our Oregon travel zone. This is to observe where your cat will be the most comfortable. She can also hold the consultation at Synergy’s Behavior Center in NW Portland if you live outside our travel zone, or if you would prefer to not have a home visit.
- We require a $100 reservation deposit to hold your appointment slot. This deposit will be applied to the total cost of the consult. Here is an online deposit payment link for your convenience. You may also call us to give us a credit card number over the phone. If you prefer to pay the deposit by check, please mail it. We will hold your appointment for up to 5 business days then open it up for scheduling again if your deposit is not received by that time.
- Download and fill out the Cat Behavior History Form. The form is a fillable MS Word Format and is the easiest to complete. If you want to fill it out by hand, or can’t use MS Word, here is a PDF version. Please e-mail, fax or mail the form back to us so that we receive it no later than 72 hours prior to your consultation. The more detail you provide in the form, the more time we can spend devising and implementing your pet’s customized treatment plan.
- Cancellation policy: We understand that life happens, and things can change suddenly or unexpectedly, leaving you unable to attend your scheduled appointment. Please review our cancellation policy to determine what applies to different circumstances.
- Cancellation without rescheduling the appointment – deposit is not refunded
- Rescheduling the appointment at least 72 hours before a scheduled appointment time – the deposit can be applied to a rescheduled appointment one time. If the appointment is cancelled or rescheduled a second time, the deposit is not refunded
- Rescheduling or canceling an appointment within 72 hours of a scheduled appointment – the deposit is not refunded
During the consult, Dr. Valli will spend some time observing your cat’s behavior, and clarifying any questions she may have from the Behavior History Form that you filled out prior to the consult. During a house call, she will also look at the places your cat likes spend time, as well as the litter boxes and layout of the house. Following this, she will…
- Help you understand your cat’s behaviors,
- Discuss diagnosis and prognosis of the problem behaviors,
- Discuss treatment options with you,
- Discuss and if appropriate demonstrate the behavior modification techniques best suited to your cat and make it practical for you to follow-through with them. The techniques described will be progressive and compassionate,
- Discuss follow-up recommendations based on you and your cat’s needs
After the consultation, Dr. Valli will send you a summary of the findings of the consultation, and send a copy to your primary veterinarian as well to keep them updated as part of your cat’s behavioral health team. Follow-up behavior modification classes and sessions may be recommended to help facilitate treatment, and are available with one of our Certified trainers. Dr. Valli also offers behavior modification sessions depending on the case.
The initial consultation includes phone and e-mail contact with Dr. Valli up to your pet’s Progress Evaluation Recheck. Rechecks occur between 1-3 months after the initial assessment depending on the cat’s behavioral conditions and treatment plan.
- Your cat’s favorite treats or food
- A selection of your cat’s favorite toys
For a consultation at the Synergy Behavior Center, please:
- Bring your cat in a carrier,
- Bring your cat’s favorite toys and treats
|Behavioral Health Assessment (At Behavior Center)*||1.5 to 2 hours at $225/hr (effective July 1, 2016)|
|Behavior Progress Evaluation (For existing clients, at Behavior Center)*||1-1.5 hours at $180/hr (effective July 1, 2016)|
|Additional fee for house calls **||$65|
* Includes up email and phone behavioral support until your cat’s next Progress Evaluation, or up to 3 months. **Please contact us for our travel zone.