Behavior Consultation for Dogs
We work with dogs who need help with:
- Reactivity and aggression
- Excessive vocalization
- Pet-pet introductions
- Fears and phobias
- Separation distress
- Compulsive disorders
- Senior dog behavioral changes
- And more…
Appointments with Dr. Valli
- How to Schedule a Consultation
- What to expect at the Consultation
- Preparing for the Consultation
- Consultation Fees
- Contact us to schedule a consultation. Dr. Valli sees appointments on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Evening appointments are available. This initial consultation takes place at the Synergy Behavior Center in NW Portland, or at your home (if it is within our Oregon travel zone).
- We require a $100 reservation deposit which will be applied to the total cost of the consult. Here is an online deposit payment link for your convenience. You may also call us to give us a credit card number over the phone. If you prefer to pay by check, please mail it. We will hold your appointment for up to 5 business days then open it up for scheduling again if your deposit is not received by that time.
- Download and fill out the Dog Behavior History Form. The form is a fillable MS Word Format and is the easiest to complete. If you want to fill it out by hand, or can’t use MS Word, here is a PDF version. Please e-mail, fax or mail the form back to us so that we receive it no later than 72 hours prior to your consultation. The more detail you provide in the form, the more time we can spend devising and implementing your pet’s customized treatment plan.
- Cancellation policy: We understand that life happens, and things can change suddenly or unexpectedly, leaving you unable to attend your scheduled appointment. Please review our cancellation policy to determine what applies to different circumstances.
- Cancellation without rescheduling the appointment – deposit is not refunded
- Rescheduling the appointment at least 72 hours before a scheduled appointment time – the deposit can be applied to a rescheduled appointment one time. If the appointment is cancelled or rescheduled a second time, the deposit is not refunded
- Rescheduling or canceling an appointment within 72 hours of a scheduled appointment – the deposit is not refunded
During the consult, Dr. Valli will spend some time observing your dog and clarifying any questions she may have from the Behavior History Form that you filled out prior to the consult. Following this, she will…
- Help you understand your dog’s behavior,
- Discuss diagnosis and prognosis of the problem behaviors,
- Discuss treatment options with you,
- Discuss and if appropriate demonstrate the behavior modification techniques best suited to your pet and make it practical for you to follow-through with them. The techniques described will be progressive, compassionate, and minimally invasive
- Discuss follow-up recommendations based on you and your pet’s needs
After the consultation, Dr. Valli will send you a summary of the consultation findings and send a copy to your regular veterinarian as well to keep them updated as part of your pet’s behavioral health team. Follow-up behavior modification classes and sessions are often recommended for treatment, and are available with one of our Certified trainers. Dr. Valli also offers behavior modification sessions depending on the case.
The initial consultation includes phone and e-mail contact with Dr. Valli up to your pet’s Progress Evaluation Recheck, which occurs between 1-3 months after the initial assessment depending on the dog’s behavioral conditions and treatment plan.
- The equipment that you are currently using to train your dog,
- Approximately a cup of your dog’s favorite treats cut or broken into small pea-sized pieces,
- If your dog has a favorite interactive toy, feel free to prepare it and bring it with you.
For a consultation at your home:
- Please have your current training equipment available for use or review
- Prepare approximately a cup of your dog’s favorite treats cut or broken into pea-sized pieces, and have them easily available
- Prepare an interactive toy if that will help keep your dog occupied during the consultation.
- If your dog is not comfortable with people entering the house, we will work with you to plan for Dr. Valli coming in with minimal stress to your dog.
|Behavioral Health Assessment (At Behavior Center)*||1.5 to 2 hours at $225/hr (effective July 1, 2016)|
|Behavior Progress Evaluation (For existing clients, at Behavior Center)*||1-1.5 hours at $180/hr (effective July 1, 2016)|
|Additional fee for housecalls **||$65|
* Includes email and phone support until your dog’s next Progress Evaluation, or up to 3 months.
**Please contact us for our travel zone.